2018 MS/JH National Conference for Choral Music
A Virtual (Federated) Conference
- The number of middle level mixed choirs to receive a concert invitation: 1-3.
- The number of middle level male choirs to receive a concert invitation: 1-3.
- The number of middle level treble choirs to receive a concert invitation: 1-3.
- Two classroom choirs of different composition: female/treble; male; mixed.
A description of the choirs selected to perform:
- Classroom choirs that demonstrate a high level of musical achievement.
- Size: 20-80 singers
- Grade distribution: By April 2018, a majority of each classroom choir is comprised of students in grades 7 and/or 8, a minority of each choir may include students in grades 6 and/or 9.
Letters of support and recommendation:
- Letter #1: 2017-2018 MS/JH school principal
- Letter #2: Noted and highly regarded choral music professional
Selection committee details:
- Deadline for submission of MP3 recordings: August 15, 2017. On the Cambiata Institute web site menu on the right, see Choir Audition Submission Form for details.
- The concert selection committee will be comprised of five middle school choir professionals with a strong adjudication background. In a blind listening session, each committee member will be asked to rank (1, lowest—10, highest) the MP3’s submitted for consideration. Recording scores, recommendation letters, and broad divisional representation will be used to determine overall scores. Notification of results will be no later than August 30, 2017.
- Concert site for choirs located within the immediate region will take place at the University of North Texas, Voertman Concert Hall, Saturday, May 5, 2018. Concerts will be open to the public and recorded in HD.
- Concert site for choirs located outside the immediate region will take place at an agreed upon venue to be determined on an individual basis, April-May, 2018. Concert will be open to the public and recorded in HD.
- Concert length is expected to be no shorter than 18 minutes and no longer than 25 minutes.
- The conductor and a parent or legal guardian of each member of each invited choir will be asked to sign a waiver, giving the Cambiata Institute permission to record (both audio and video) conference performances. All HD recordings will be merged into an educational documentary that will be available on the Cambiata Institute web site for everyone: parents, students, educators, college method classes, administrators, and all interested persons.